25 Epsom Salt Uses
Epsom Salts – chemically known as magnesium sulfate – are named after the spring in Surrey, England where the naturally-occurring mineral was discovered in the water. A must have natural remedy for every home, Epsom salts may be used topically or taken internally. Read on to learn about the many incredible health benefits and uses for Epsom salts.
1. Lawn and garden — Studies show that the magnesium and sulfur that comprise Epsom salt may help your plants grow greener, produce higher yields and have more blooms.
2. Pedicure — Combine 1/2 cup Epsom salt and warm soapy water, then soak your feet for 5 minutes for softer skin. Remove nail polish, push back cuticles, then cut and file your nails. Soak an additional 5 minutes in a warm Epsom salt bath for super soft feet.
3. Hair volumizer — Combine equal parts conditioner and Epsom salt. Work the mixture through your hair and leave for 20 minutes. The result? Hair full of va-va-voom and volume!
4. Facial scrub — This is one of my favorite Epsom salt uses. Mix 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt with your favorite cleanser; massage into skin using small circles to give your pores a deep-cleaning. Rinse your face with cool water, pat dry. This is one of the most refreshing Epsom salt uses!
5. Relax — Create the perfect detox bath salts! Add two cups of Epsom salt to your very-warm bath water and soak for 15 minutes. You can purchase Epsom salt with lavender or eucalyptus for an extra-soothing bath experience.
6. Sea salt texturizing hair spray — Combine 1 cup of hot water, 2 tablespoons Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel and 1/2 tsp conditioner in a spray bottle. Spray salt mixture into hair and scrunch hair with your hand for pretty beachy-waves.
7. Regulate Blood Sugar - Both magnesium and sulfate help to improve the body’s ability to produce and use insulin. Regular intake of Epsom salts – either orally or transdermally – may help to regulate blood sugar, lowering the risk of diabetes and improving your overall daily energy levels.
8. Splinter removal — Soak your finger in an Epsom salt bath for easy splinter extraction.
9. Body scrub — After showering, massage handfuls of Epsom salt over wet skin to exfoliate the body. Get a spa treatment at home!
10. Exfoliation — For exfoliation, mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with 1/4 cup of almond oil and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Gently massage into dry patches for smoother skin.
11. Mosquito bites — Epsom salt can ease the symptoms of mosquito bites. Make a compress by soaking a washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epsom salt (2 tablespoons per cup of water), then gently apply to the bite area.
12. Sore muscles and arthritis — If your muscles or joints ache, an Epsom salt bath is a great way to find relief. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your very-warm bath water, agitate the water with your hands to dissolve it then soak for 15 minutes.
13. Arterial Health - Epsom salts may help to improve circulation and prevent serious cardiovascular illness by decreasing inflammation and protecting the elasticity of arteries. Healthier arteries means less risk of blood clots, plaque build-up, and damage to arterial walls. Try soaking in an Epsom salt bath three to four times per week to reduce stress, lower blood pressure, and improve your cardiovascular health.
14. Bedtime bath for kids — Add one cup of Epsom salt to your kids’ evening bath to help them sleep more peacefully.
15. Headache relief — Evidence shows that that soaking in an Epsom salt bath can relieve headache symptoms.
16. Acne — Epsom salt has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties making it a fantastic natural treatment for acne.
17. Remove odor on hands and feet — Add 3 Tablespoons of Epsom salt to 1 quart of warm water and soak your hands or feet for 15 minutes. This will makes your skin soft, your nails shine, and also help remove foul odors.
18. Relieve constipation — Pour 8 oz. of drinking water into a glass, mix with 1 to 2 tsp. of Epsom salt and drink the mixture for immediate relief of constipation. Mixing directions are also found on most Epsom salt packages, consult your physician before trying this.
19. Sunburn relief — Dissolve two tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1 cups of water and spray on minor sunburns.
20. Draw out infection — For simple infections on hands or feet, soak in a hot Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes to help clear the area. Note, some staph infections are worsened by soaking in hot water, consult your physician.
21. Ease the common cold — Did you know that Epsom salt baths can speed healing by detoxifying your body and increasing your white blood cell count? Try an Epsom salt bath the next time you feel those first symptoms of a cold.
22. Reduce swelling — Epsom salt baths can help the appearance of bruises and reduce swelling.
23. Deter slugs — Sprinkle a trail of Epsom salt around the area you want to be free of slugs.
24. Blackhead removal — Mix a teaspoon of Epsom salt, 3 drops iodine and half a cup of boiling water. Dab this solution to your blackheads with a cotton ball to help naturally extract them.
25. Insecticide — Mix Epson salt with water, add to a spray bottle and spray on plants to naturally deter insects.